Although old age is an unpleasant definition for many people, it is not possible to turn back time. Sooner or later we will all get old. But is it possible to spend this period in a healthy and happy way? The answer to this question, one of the experts of DoktorTakvimi.com, Uzm. Ps. Elif Eşen Kara gives.
It is defined differently according to the ages at which aging begins. Although there is a generally accepted onset of old age, the ages at which people feel or think they are getting old are changing. Elderly is defined as a person of advanced calendar age, often accompanied by retirement, which coincides with an older age in the person's lifeline. One of the experts of DoktorTakvimi.com, Uzm. Ps. Elif Eşen Kara underlines that for a healthy and happy old age, people should pay attention to living a healthy life in their current age. Stating that the best thing to do for a happy and healthy old age is to try to know oneself, to stay physically and mentally active and very spiritually active. Ps. Elif Eşen Kara offers 10 suggestions for a healthy and happy old age.
1. Prepare for 'active aging': Active aging, a concept that was started to be used by the World Health Organization in the 1990s, refers to the fact that people are still socially, economically and culturally involved in the old age process. Instead of being an individual who withdraws from life and feels sadness in this way, the person adopts a life style that can keep him mentally and physically vigorous. Aging doesn't have to be in the form of being devastated, withdrawn from life. Planning a post-retirement lifestyle that can be socially and, as far as possible, physically active can be a good way to prepare.
2. Think about the priorities of your life: There are many things that are valuable to us that we do not realize as the days pass. In old age, many people tend to turn inside and question their lives rather than what is happening outside. It is a period of looking at your own life and ideas, with both a reckoning and a decrease in the existing hustle and bustle of life. If the person did not realize his priorities and agreed in his old age, this situation can turn into a mental skid rather than living the moment and savoring it in old age.
3. Try increasing your ability to stay in the moment: Feeling good is highly correlated with the ability to stay in the moment. We are more likely to be depressed or anxious when we spend most of our time noticing what is happening in the present, evaluating or even judging the past or future rather than living. You can increase your potential to be mentally well and cope with problems by being aware of the moment, in other words by keeping your attention on the present experience, rather than waiting for the "I'll be relieved after this is over".
4. Realize the importance of your social network: Even if a person feels lonely from time to time, he continues his life more emotionally when he receives social support. It is likely that his mood will be higher, as he can cope with problems more easily. Regardless of whether the person is an introvert or an extrovert, it is supportive to have friends and relatives around whom both people have a genuinely cordial relationship.
5. Establish physical exercise habits to stay physically active: While many of us are catching up with what needs to be done during the day, sports can be neglected. However, regular physical exercise is one of the most efficient ways to protect our mental health as well as our physical health. We support our physical and bodily health, now and in old age.
6. Be open to learning new things to stay mentally active: The world is changing so fast. Trying to adapt to existing changes is important both for us to remain active and to maintain communication with the generations that come after us.
7. Get an occupation that brings you good feelings: Most of the time, a person is not a feeling good out of the blue. Starting and continuing an occupation that nourishes, makes us happy, develops us, that we perceive ourselves as positive, and even gaining depth on this subject over time can be a gift for old age that we can present to ourselves.
8. Take a look at what life you would like to see when you imagine being old and look back at it: Although it may seem a bit of a sad idea at first, it's a realistic way to define ourselves and what kind of life we want. We can think of it like taking a video or photo of our life. Going to a quiet place, maybe closing your eyes and staying with this thought for a while, to see if there is an idea, and if not, to continue your daily life without forcing it opens a space for the formation of such ideas and awareness.
9. Analyze the issues you think about again and again, get support if you can't: Old age provides an environment to evaluate past experiences. Wishes, good ones can be noticed more. If you are already experiencing these, instead of leaving it until then, getting rid of the blocked ones from your mental energy, reviewing the files that remain open and putting them in their places, although it is not easy while doing it, it can relax you better as a result.
10. Try to make your internal dialogues with yourself in a more loving tone: We may have aspects or behaviors that we are angry with, dislike or criticize with ourselves. There is no rule that says we will always feel good. However, trying to understand why things that are a problem for us are a problem and trying to stay in a more loving tone while doing this will be good for understanding ourselves. Just like trying to understand when talking to someone we love is good for them, regardless of finding a solution.