📩 17/08/2021 12:55
Prof. from Yeni Yüzyıl University Gaziosmanpaşa Hospital, Department of Cardiology. Dr. Yaşar Turan gave information about 'The conditions that hypertension patients should pay attention to in summer heat'.
If the increased air temperature is accompanied by high humidity, it causes a more destructive effect on the body balance. High humidity significantly impairs the body's ability to control sweating and cooling and body temperature. High temperatures combined with high humidity cause more blood flow to the skin, which can make the heart beat faster and harder. In such a situation, the body may have to circulate twice as much per minute as on a cool day. Danger signs that can be seen in case of high temperature and humidity;
- dizziness or confusion
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Excessive sweating
- muscle spasms or cramps
- Cold and moist skin
- swelling in ankles
- Dark and little urine
When you encounter such a situation, you should move to a cooler, air-conditioned or shaded area and drink plenty of fluids. A cold shower and rest will also be beneficial. If the symptoms do not improve despite this, medical attention should be sought immediately.
Precautions to be taken for high temperature and humidity;
- Regular fluid intake is very important. Even if you do not feel thirsty, regular and plenty of fluids should be taken. At least 2 liters of water should be drunk per day, and this should be increased in cases of intense fluid loss.
- Avoid sugary or alcoholic beverages on very hot and humid days.
- Avoid heavy consumption of tea and coffee. These cause both the heart to work faster and the loss of fluid from the body due to their diuretic effects.
- Mineral loss from the body is also higher in hot and humid weather. It is important to replenish sodium, potassium, magnesium and other minerals for the regular functioning of muscles and organs. These minerals aid bodily functions such as regulating your heartbeat and helping your muscles contract.
- Do not smoke. Smoking, which disrupts the nutrition of the heart and causes atherosclerosis, can cause serious health problems in hot and humid weather, where the workload of the heart and oxygen demand increase.
- Wear loose, light, light-colored clothing made from breathable fabrics. The use of a hat will also be useful.
- Wear well-ventilated shoes that fit your feet and socks that wick away sweat.
- Avoid spending too much time outside between 10:00 and 16:00, when the sun and humidity are most effective. If you spend a lot of time outside, take frequent breaks in the shade or in the air conditioner.
- It will be safer and more beneficial to do sports and walk in the morning or evening when the weather is cooler.
- Pay attention to your diet. Avoid unhealthy, prepared foods and snacks that are high in salt and fat. Consume plenty of vegetables and fruits.
- Use your medications regularly. Follow your blood pressure and do not neglect your doctor's control.