Family counselor provides counseling for married couples or family members to overcome their mental or emotional problems that may arise at home.
What Does a Family Counselor Do, What Are His Duties?
The primary task of the family counselor is to meet with the whole family to discuss and examine issues that interfere with family life. Other responsibilities of the family counselor are:
- Talking to family members to determine what topics will be covered in therapy sessions
- Gathering information about family members through testing, interviewing and observation,
- Informing clients on issues such as divorce, separation, child rearing, household management and financial difficulties,
- Directing the clients to the relevant specialist in cases that require medication, psychiatry and legal aid,
- Encouraging family members to develop skills and strategies to deal with problems constructively.
- Storing files containing activities, progress notes, evaluations and suggestions,
- Meeting with other consultants and experts to analyze individual cases and coordinate advisory services.
- To advise the courts in cases of detention or detention of children; communicating with doctors, schools, social workers, child counselors, and law enforcement officials,
- Providing family counseling and treatment services to inmates participating in substance abuse programs,
- To evaluate parents and children to be used by the court to decide on divorce and custody cases, to testify in court when necessary,
How to Become a Family Counselor
It is necessary to graduate with a bachelor's degree from the four-year education departments of universities, psychology, sociology, social work, psychological counseling and guidance, nursing, medicine and child development. Various universities and educational institutions have Family Counseling certificate programs.
People who want to be a Family Counselor must have certain qualifications;
- Demonstrate effective communication skills,
- To behave in accordance with professional ethics,
- Demonstrate the ability to identify complex problems and provide solutions,
- Demonstrate the ability to cope with stressful and emotional situations,
- Demonstrating persuasion skills,
- Have advanced observation skills and attention to detail
Family Counselor Salaries 2022
The lowest Family Counselor salary received in 2022 is 5.500 TL, the average Family Counselor salary is 7.200 TL, and the highest Family Counselor salary is 9.600 TL.