Walking Mansion is a rectangular planned, two-storey semi-masonry mansion built in Yalova Millet Farm in 1929.
Gazi Mustafa Kemal was staying in a tent at Baltacı Farm, which he had bought in Yalova for the first time in 1927. Mustafa Kemal, who loved the city very much, passed from the city, which he visited many times, on 21 August 1929 for a visit to Bursa. Coming to the city with Ertuğrul Yacht, Mustafa Kemal attracted the attention of a large plane tree in the Millet Farm near Yalova pier.
The yacht was stopped at Atatürk's request, who was impressed by the appearance of the plane tree. We went ashore with the yacht boat. Having rested for a while in the shadow of the plane tree, Atatürk ordered a mansion to be built around the grand plane tree.
The mansion, which was started to be built on 21 August 1929, was completed 22 days later on 12 September.
Shifting the pavilion
When Atatürk went to the mansion one day in the summer of 1930, the workers there asked permission to cut the branch of the plane tree, saying that the branch of the plane tree next to it hit the roof of the mansion and damaged the roof and the wall. Atatürk, on the other hand, wanted the building to be moved forward on the tram rails instead of cutting the branch of the plane tree.
This task was given to Science Director Yusuf Ziya Erdem from Istanbul Municipality to which Yalova is affiliated. Erdem came to Yalova and started working with the chief engineer Ali Galip Alnar and technical staff. The team, which started the work by digging the foundation, went down to the basic level and the tram tracks brought from Istanbul were placed on the foundation of the building. After long efforts, the building was seated on rails inserted under the foundation.
On the afternoon of August 8, 1930, executive work began. This study was followed by Mustafa Kemal, Makbule Atadan, Deputy Governor Muhittin Üstündağ, Trust Science Director Yusuf Ziya Erdem, engineers and journalists from Istanbul.
The execution of the mansion was done in two stages. On August 8, firstly the terrace part of the building and in the remaining two days, the operation of the main building on rails was completed and the building was shifted about 5 meters east. In this way, the mansion was saved from collapsing and cutting the plane tree. In addition, the mansion started to be known as the Walking Mansion after that day.
The shifting of the mansion is an important event in terms of showing the importance Mustafa Kemal attaches to environmental awareness. This event increased the awareness of both the mansion and Yalova.
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk rested in this mansion and under the plane tree in Yalova, where he visited many times after this event. Like all the immovables he owned after his death, he donated the mansion to the Turkish nation.
The fame of the mansion decreased after Atatürk's death. The mansion, which was left unattended for a long time, was taken into maintenance by Yalova Municipality in 2006 and was opened as a museum. Walking Mansion regained its former reputation after this event.
Features of the structure
The building, located on the coast of Yalova, today within the Atatürk Horticultural Central Research Institute, is a rectangular, two-storey wooden building.
The top of the building is covered with Marseille tiles and has a sitting roof. The facades are covered with wood, and between the floors are covered with profiled floor moldings and wood with different decorations. Windows and window shutters are conventionally structured folding lids. The floor pavement entrance is black mosaic and marble. The upper floor has normal wooden flooring. The walls are plastered with cement mortar over Baghdadi and painted over the plaster.
The building is entered through the west door. There is a small section on the left at the entrance. This place was used as a tea and coffee shop when Atatürk lived in the mansion, and today it is a cloakroom. At the entrance, there is a small toilet directly opposite. There is a small room right next to the toilet.
The meeting hall draws attention in the direction facing the sea. Atatürk's beloved gramophone is also here. All three sides of this hall facing the sea are covered with crystal glass doors.
You can go upstairs through the wooden stairs to the right of the entrance door. Under the stairs, there is a semi-basement water heating center that can be accessed from outside. The water heated in a cast iron graded boiler with thermostat goes to the upper floor through pipes.
At the exit, there is a small toilet and bathroom just opposite. In these toilets and bathrooms on the ground floor and upstairs, there are doors opening to Atatürk's bedroom upstairs and to the living room downstairs. Atatürk's resting room on the left also opens to the terrace.
Opposite this room is a small L-shaped bedroom. Various pictures of the farm are hung on the walls of the room. There is a cupboard to the left of the stairs and this cupboard contains a 32-person Belgian porcelain dinner set, 32-person cutlery and spoons, 2 crystal jugs, Atatürk's quilt, pillows, sheets and tablecloths.
From here, a second area is reached by an 8-step staircase. From here, you can go to the wooden pier. The pier is approximately 30 meters long and 2 meters wide. The old plane tree, which caused the mansion to move, is just west of the mansion.
About 50 meters west of the Yuruyen Kosk, the generator room was built on the same date as the pavilion. The pavilion was illuminated with the 110 volt Siemens electric motor located here.