📩 20/09/2023 14:33
Specialist from Yeni Yüzyıl University Gaziosmanpaşa Hospital Dermatology Department. Dr. İhsaniye Dönmez Çiçek gave information about blue light, which has harmful effects on our skin.
Specialist Dr. In her statement, İhsaniye Dönmez Çiçek said, “It is a light wavelength that has a volume of approximately 30% in the visible light spectrum and vibrates between 380-500 nm; However, it is a light group that creates the longest energy and therefore can penetrate deeper layers of the skin and be more harmful than other lights. Generally speaking, the largest source of blue light is the sun; However, many items that have entered our lives recently also emit blue light. Fluorescent lamps, contact fluorescent bulbs, LED televisions and tablets can be examples of this.” said.
Since it is a part of natural sunlight; But why is blue light harmful?
Specialist Dr. İhsaniye Dönmez Çiçek stated that blue light penetrates the skin more than other lights and said, "Since we are exposed to blue light from many sources in life other than the sun, we experience high doses of skin exposure." she said.
How does blue light affect our skin?
Çiçek listed the conditions caused by blue light on the skin as follows:
- Early signs of aging
- Irregularities in skin tone
- Skin redness in sensitive people
- Increase in spots
- Loss of elasticity in the skin
- Coarsening and deepening of lines
- Matte appearance on the skin
- Most importantly, it can increase the risk of skin cancer because it causes DNA damage in skin cells.
Expert said that exposure to blue light, especially at night, disrupts the skin's self-repair mechanism because it contradicts the skin's biological rhythm and night cycle. Dr. İhsaniye Dönmez Çiçek listed the things that need to be done to protect against the harms of blue light:
- We must definitely use broad spectrum sunscreens.
- We should also make sure that the cosmetic products we use have a blue light filter.
- We should unplug other technological devices and do a digital detox 2 hours before sleeping.
- We should pay attention to the care routine of our skin and clean and moisturize it in a healthy way against external factors.
- Since blue light causes serious oxidative stress, we must take antioxidant support both internally and externally. We should use creams and food supplements that contain intense antioxidants, especially vitamins C, E, ferulic acid, and resveratrol.
- We should consume plenty of water, eat healthy, and avoid smoking, alcohol and packaged food.