Sustainability is becoming an increasingly important and priority issue in all areas of life. Companies, governments and institutions are making new breakthroughs and policies every day to support sustainability and develop sustainable business models. There are many things that can be done individually to contribute to making the world, which is our common home, more livable.
What is Sustainability?
Many resources are used every day to produce in many sectors such as industry, technology, education, health and transportation. Have you ever thought about the possibility that these resources will one day run out? It is possible to contribute to the present and the future by choosing environmentally friendly and sustainable resources instead of resources that are both limited and harmful to the world.
With the awareness that resources are limited, the process of making production without affecting living life in order to contribute to both today and future generations can be defined as sustainability. One's own; Continuation of living life, a more livable world and shaping the production and consumption processes on this axis by thinking of future generations can be defined as individual sustainability.
Areas to Save at Home
By adopting a sustainable life as an individual, you can initiate change and be part of a large, beneficial movement. Individual sustainability is a much more effective method than you might think.
The use of water, electricity and natural gas in homes is quite high. In addition, many products such as food, clothes, electronic goods, white goods are bought in every house at certain periods, and these products are used and then take their place in the garbage as waste. Do you want to reduce the use of water, electricity and natural gas by applying the right methods and contribute to sustainability by organizing your waste?
1- How to Save Electricity at Home?
By saving electricity at home, you can both contribute to sustainability and reduce your electricity bill.
• In order to save electricity, we recommend that you first detect all electrical appliances in the house. After this determination, you can determine the devices that consume a lot of energy, you can choose energy-saving products instead, or you can determine the intervals you need instead of running the devices all the time.
• If you spend time at home during the day, we strongly recommend that you choose daylight instead of artificial light. If you need light in your working area during the day, you can use a table lamp. You can also use energy more efficiently by choosing LED bulbs.
• Washing machines and dishwashers can be shown among the devices that operate frequently and consume the most energy. Today, there are many energy-saving washing and dishwasher models. If your appliances are old, you can choose economical white goods. This method will both make a profit and contribute to sustainability in the long run. In addition, it is an effective method to run your dishwasher and washing machine at full capacity.
• Make it a habit to unplug devices. For example, you have completed your work with your desktop computer and turned off your computer, but your computer continues to be plugged in. This means that electricity use continues. When you're done with your computer, don't forget to unplug it.
• Continuing to charge your mobile phone when its battery is full both shortens your phone's battery life and increases its energy consumption. When your phone's battery is full, always take it off the charger. Also, don't forget to unplug the charger.
• Irons consume the most energy during the heating phase. So instead of ironing your clothes separately, ironing them together will save a lot of electricity.
• Refrigerator is one of the electronic equipment that works continuously and continues to produce energy. You can also save significant amounts of energy by lowering the temperature of the refrigerator.
2- How to Save Water at Home?
It is quite easy to save water at home with some simple and effective methods.
• You don't always need to use the water when you are doing your personal care such as washing hands, brushing teeth or shaving, but the water is usually on. Instead, turning off the water when you don't need water will save you a lot of water.
• Soaking the dishes in water before putting them in the machine is a common mistake and causes very serious water consumption. Because the dishwasher uses much less water when washing your dishes. Instead, we recommend that you put your dishes directly in the machine and run your machine in energy-saving programs if possible.
• Instead of using buckets of water when cleaning your house, you can choose products that clean with a spray feature. This method will not only make your surface clean, but also contribute to sustainability by saving both time and energy.
• Take care to take as short showers as possible instead of spending long hours in the shower. You can also choose an energy saving shower head to reduce water usage in the shower.
• Periodic leaks may occur in homes. When you notice your leaking faucets, we recommend that you do the necessary repair work immediately.
• Old type siphons cause 2-3 times more water consumption than new siphons. For this reason, renewing your toilet will make a serious contribution to your water savings.
3- How to Save Natural Gas at Home?
Natural gas is one of the most preferred heating methods in many homes, especially in the winter months. By using natural gas consciously, it is possible to both provide energy efficiency and contribute to sustainability.
• First of all, we strongly recommend that you have exterior insulation of your home. Thanks to the exterior insulation, it will be possible to preserve the heat in the house and the need for natural gas will be reduced.
• Combi boilers use more energy in the first start-up. For example; When you are not at home, instead of turning off your combi boiler, it will be more accurate in terms of energy saving to run it at a low setting.
• Curtains that go down to the floor and close the radiator prevent the heat from spreading evenly throughout your home. To avoid such a problem, you can use curtains that end above the radiator. Likewise, take care to open the front of the radiators as much as possible. Closing the radiators of your seats will also prevent the heat from dissipating.
4- It is possible to prevent food waste
You can save money by preventing food waste with practical methods you will apply in your kitchen.
• First of all, it is very important to buy as much food as you can consume. If you have to clean spoiled foods from your refrigerator frequently, you are getting much more food than you will consume.
• Foods can maintain their freshness for a long time when stored in appropriate conditions. You can save money by storing your food in the right storage conditions and in the right containers.
• Take care to keep your kitchen tidy at all times. In a kitchen where everything is in its place, the possibility of spoiled food on the shelves or cabinets will decrease.
• Many wastes from your kitchen are not actually garbage and can be reused. Make sure to separate garbage in the kitchen. For example; You can make compost by decomposing your food waste in the kitchen correctly and use the fertile soil you have obtained as a result of this process for your plants.
• You can reduce plastic consumption by taking your own bag with you when you go shopping. Thanks to this method, many unnecessary bags will not accumulate in your kitchen.
• Avoid using plastic utensils in your kitchen. Instead, you can choose materials made from sustainable and non-health-threatening materials such as glass and wood.
Günceleme: 24/01/2023 15:13