Mushroom Poisoning and Treatment Methods

Fungal Poisoning and Treatment Methods
Mushroom Poisoning and Treatment Methods

From Memorial Ataşehir Hospital Department of Anesthesia and Reanimation, Uz. Dr. Mustafa Emre Kavlak gave information about mushroom poisoning and treatment methods. Kavlak warned that if these symptoms are experienced after eating mushrooms, do not waste time.

The history of mushroom poisoning dates back to ancient times. Some historians write that the Roman emperor Claudius died of poisoning from the mushrooms he ate. Today, mushrooms collected from nature and consumed can cause serious problems. 6 cases of mushroom poisoning are reported each year in the United States. Children under the age of 6 constitute the majority of these cases. One of the biggest reasons for this is that children consume mushrooms they find in nature while walking or playing. For this reason, it is vital to raise awareness of children about mushroom consumption.

Symptoms after mushroom poisoning may differ depending on the toxin of the mushroom. However, the first symptoms that usually appear after mushroom poisoning are complaints about the digestive system. If symptoms such as stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and fever are experienced 2-3 hours after the mushroom is consumed, it is necessary to apply to a health institution without delay. However, since the toxin found in each mushroom is different, symptoms such as hallucinations, seizures, drowsiness, confusion, liver and kidney failure, and yellowing of the skin may also be experienced after mushroom consumption.

Upset. Dr. Mustafa Emre Kavlak emphasized the importance of the amount of mushrooms consumed.

In mushroom poisoning, the amount consumed and the time of arrival to the hospital after the discomfort are important. Gastric lavage is the first step of the treatment, following examinations such as fluid loss, electrolyte imbalance, liver and kidney enzymes in patients who come to the hospital shortly after mushroom poisoning. However, the duration of the patient's arrival at the hospital is also of vital importance in the treatment to be applied. After 24 hours after mushroom poisoning, toxic effects can leave permanent damage, especially liver and kidney failure.

Upset. Dr. Mustafa Emre Kavlak said that the blood in the body should be cleaned.

In cases where liver and kidney failure develops, hemofiltration treatment is applied to remove the toxic toxin from the body and prevent secondary infections. In the hemofiltration treatment, the blood of the patients is first taken and filtered. After the blood is washed and cleaned with a special liquid called plasma, it is given to the patient again. With this method, liver and kidney failure in patients can be treated without the need for organ transplantation.

Upset. Dr. Kavlak emphasized that the last and definitive solution is organ transplantation.

Plasma pheresis hemofiltration treatment may not be sufficient in cases where patients consume large amounts of mushrooms or come to the hospital late. Despite treatment, some patients may need an organ transplant.

Inaccurate information is common among the public, such as that poisonous mushrooms are more colorful or have a more bitter taste. Consuming even one mushroom, deceived by its color, smell and taste, can cause life-threatening problems. For this reason, it is recommended to consume cultivars instead of unknown mushrooms.

Günceleme: 25/11/2022 12:29

Similar Ads

Be the first to comment

Comments