An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who diagnoses and treats diseases of the eye and visual system or helps prevent disorders in this area. Responsible for performing different medical procedures, from routine eye exams to advanced surgical procedures.
What Does an Ophthalmologist Do? What are their Duties and Responsibilities?
The responsibilities of the ophthalmologist, who have the opportunity to work in private eye clinics and public hospitals, are as follows;
- Treating a range of ailments such as cataracts, glaucoma, eye injuries, infectious eye diseases and degenerative conditions resulting from aging.
- Listening to the patient's history and performing a physical examination,
- Requesting eye measurements to detect discomfort,
- To diagnose the disease and to determine the appropriate treatment method,
- Prescribing corrective lenses such as glasses and contact lenses,
- Performing laser surgeries,
- To follow the recovery process after surgery,
- Prescribing topical or systemic medications to treat eye conditions and manage pain
- Referring the patient to other healthcare professionals if necessary,
- To inform community members about protecting eye health,
- Protecting patient privacy.
What Education Is Required To Become An Ophthalmologist?
To become an ophthalmologist, it is necessary to fulfill the following educational criteria;
- To graduate from the Faculties of Medicine of the universities that provide six-year education,
- To get at least 50 from the Foreign Language Proficiency Exam (YDS),
- To be successful in the Medical Specialization Examination (TUS),
- Completing a four-year ophthalmology residency,
- Presenting a graduation thesis and qualifying for a professional title kazanmak
Features that an Eye Diseases Specialist Should Have
- To have an empathetic attitude towards diseases,
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills,
- Demonstrate problem-solving ability
- Adapt to teamwork.
Ophthalmologist Salary 2022
As they progress in their careers, Ophthalmologists' positions and average salaries are the lowest 21.370 TL, the average 32.520 TL, the highest 48.000 TL.