Acting at the request of the Turkish Cycling Federation, the General Directorate of State Railways of the Republic of Turkey will allow the transportation of bicycles on long-distance (YHT and Mainline) and short-track (Regional, Suburban-Marmaray) trains. Bicycle Federation President Emin Müftüoğlu said, “We are grateful to the Minister of Transport and Infrastructure Adil Karaismailoğlu, TCDD General Directorate and TCDD Taşımacılık AŞ General Directorate for supporting our fight for the spread and acceptance of bicycles.”
The Turkish Cycling Federation's request for cyclists to take their bicycles with them, to facilitate the transportation of their bicycles, to grant the right of transportation and to grant a bicycle quota (baggage right) in order to promote and facilitate the use of bicycles, which is an environmentally friendly and healthy means of transportation, received a positive response from the General Directorate of TCDD. While the provisions determined by taking into account the examples of bicycle transport rules all over the world facilitate the transportation of cyclists; they will set an example in terms of health, environment, ecological balance, exhaust-free life, economic savings and similar issues. While all kinds of bicycles (foldable, city bike, mountain bike) can be carried during off-peak hours on Suburban and Marmaray trains, folding bikes are allowed to be carried free of charge on High Speed Train and Mainline and Regional Trains.
Emin Müftüoğlu: We will make cycling easier and safer
Bicycle, which included the sentences "We would like to thank the Minister of Transport and Infrastructure Adil Karaismailoğlu, the General Directorate of State Railways of the Republic of Turkey (TCDD) and the General Directorate of TCDD Transportation Inc. President of the Federation, Emin Müftüoğlu, said, "We will continue to fight for the recognition of the bicycle as a real means of transportation and the greater use of this environmentally friendly, healthy transportation vehicle, and we will make life with bicycles easier and safer."
General Directorate of State Railways of the Republic of Turkey, the acceptance principles of bicycles to trains according to train types are as follows:
Commuter Trains and Marmaray Trains
- Except for Sundays and national holidays, bicycles will be accepted as small hand luggage on trains, except for passenger peak hours (peak hours) between 07.00-08.30 and 16.00-19.30.
- Bicycles are not accepted on trains during passenger rush hours.
- Bicycles throughout the day on non-passenger Sundays and national holidays
are accepted for free transport.
- Bicycles are accepted to all wagons and are transported in a way that does not hinder the passage of passengers in the spaces or intermediate spaces reserved for bicycle transport, if any.
- The owner of the bike is responsible for any damage and loss that may be caused to them and/or other passengers in elevators, escalators, trains and trains.
- In areas with turnstiles, bicycle passes are made from disabled turnstiles.
On High Speed Trains
- Foldable bicycles that can fit in the compartment reserved for hand luggage in YHTs are accepted as small hand luggage with the passenger and are carried free of charge.
- Bicycles that cannot be folded are not allowed to be transported on YHTs.
Outline and Regional Trains
- In mainline and regional trains, only trains that have a carriage or carriage compartment in the train organization, non-foldable bicycles are accepted as small hand luggage with the passengers and are carried free of charge.
- Bicycles that can be folded to a size that can fit in the luggage compartment of trains that do not have furniture in their organization are accepted as small hand luggage with the passengers and are carried free of charge. Non-foldable bicycles are not allowed to be transported on these trains.
- In trains with a furniture or furniture compartment in the train organization, in cases where it is not possible to fit the unfoldable bicycles in their open state, their wheels and pedals should be removed and the size should be reduced by the passenger.