Captain is the professional title given to the person responsible for navigating the ship, which can be of different sizes from a small yacht to a large cruise ship.
What does the captain do, what are his duties?
Captains are divided into two as far way and near way captain. The job description of the captain differs according to the title of captain and the type of vessel managed. The general responsibilities of the captain can be grouped under the following headings;
- Managing ships or other marine vehicles,
- Guiding the ship using a radio, depth finder, radar, light, buoy or lighthouse,
- Choosing the most suitable transportation route or speed,
- Adjusting the navigation according to the weather conditions,
- Inspecting the ship to ensure that the ship and equipment operate efficiently and safely and comply with regulations,
- Reading gauges to verify adequate level of hydraulic fluid, air pressure or oxygen.
- Conducting safety drills with the crew,
- Ensuring that ship equipment such as engines, winches, navigation systems, fire extinguishers or life preservers are maintained.
- Keeping records of daily activities,
- Recording personnel reports, ship location and movements, weather and sea conditions, pollution control studies, cargo or passenger information,
- To request the supply of fuel and consumables to the ship or the repair of damages.
How to Become a Captain
In order to become a captain, it is necessary to graduate with a bachelor's degree from the Department of Maritime Transportation and Management Engineering, which provides four-year education. After completing the internship period, it is necessary to successfully pass the Seafarers' Qualification Exam given by the Undersecretariat of Maritime Affairs.
Persons who want to be a captain must have certain qualifications;
- To have a critical approach to produce alternative solutions to problems,
- Ability to make correct and fast decisions under stress,
- To have leadership qualities that can motivate, develop and direct employees,
- Demonstrate physical competence to manage long-term travels,
- Having personnel resource management skills to identify the best people for the job,
- Ability to perform system analysis to determine how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations and environment will affect results.
- To provide successful team management.
Captain Salaries 2022
The lowest Captain salary received in 2022 was determined as 5.300 TL, the average Captain salary was 15.700 TL, and the highest Captain salary was 41.700 TL.