Dietitian and Life Coach Tuğba Yaprak gave information about the subject. Since ancient times, mushrooms have been used as food and medicine for many diseases. There are approximately 5000 mushroom species in the world. The most produced mushroom species is Agaricus bisporus. This species is a white-capped cultivated mushroom that is widely grown and sold in Turkey. In recent scientific studies, it has been determined that the components obtained from mushrooms have therapeutic effects. These;
- It can strengthen the immune system and protect health.
- Thanks to the selenium mineral it contains, it has anti-inflammatory and anticancer effects.
- It is a source of beta-glucan, thus helping to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- It is one of the rare plant foods containing vitamin D.
- It is a good source of antioxidants. It helps to protect brain and skin health with its antioxidant effect. Mushrooms with the most antioxidant effect are white mushrooms.
- Thanks to the copper mineral in its content, it reduces the risk of anemia, weakness and bone diseases.
- A substance called choline found in mushrooms has the effect of helping to strengthen sleep, memory and learning.
- It helps to lower blood sugar levels and increase insulin resistance in individuals diagnosed with diabetes.
CALORIES AND NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF MUSHROOM
From a nutritional point of view, in addition to its low calorie content, it is in terms of essential amino acids, carbohydrates, fiber, important vitamins (A, B, C, D, K) and minerals (iron, phosphorus, selenium, zinc, calcium, copper, magnesium, potassium). is also rich.
They are especially rich in B vitamins; Riboflavin (B2), Folate (B9), Thiamine (B1), Pantothenic acid (B5), Niacin (B3)
Nutritional values specified for 100 g of cultivated mushrooms;
- Calories: 21 kcal
- Protein: 3 g
- Carbs: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Fat : 0 g
THE EFFECT OF MUSHROOM CONSUMPTION ON CANCER
Today, mushrooms are used as supplements for the prevention and treatment of various diseases. It is the most recommended supplementary food, especially for cancer patients. Because mushrooms have an effect that regulates the immune system and prevents tumor formation. In recent years, the positive effect of certain mushroom species on cancer has been proven by more and more studies. Mushroom species show their anti-cancer effects due to their immunomodulatory properties. Polysaccharides and Beta-glucan are the main components that provide this feature of the mushroom. At the same time, it also helps to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy in individuals who are cancer patients and receive chemotherapy. The most common of these side effects are nausea, anemia and weakening of the immune system. At the same time, thanks to the Conjugated linoleic acid in it, it can have a beneficial effect against breast and prostate cancer. In addition to the beneficial effects of mushrooms with high phytonutrient content, they have very few side effects and are easily tolerated by the body. The most effective type of mushroom on cancer is the red reishi mushroom. This type of fungus helps macrophage cells in the immune system fight cancer. After regular consumption, it also helps substances with anti-cancer effects in the human body.
SIDE EFFECTS OF MUSHROOM
Fungi are a large family, and some species can be poisonous. These species need to be taken care of, otherwise it can lead to death and poisoning. Therefore, unknown mushroom species should never be consumed.