Dental implants are an advanced and modern treatment for completing missing teeth. Dental implants are surgically placed in the jaw to fill the gap. How long do dental implants last? Do dental implants look like real teeth? Can you eat with dental implants?
Missing teeth are not just an aesthetic problem. Dental implants also have a number of other benefits, such as extending your oral health, quality of life and the longevity of your teeth.
How long do dental implants last?
Dental implants are usually made of titanium, so they are strong, safe and long lasting. With proper oral hygiene and regular six-month checkups, dental implants can be used for life. Therefore, they are preferred by patients and dentists.
Do dental implants look like real teeth?
One of the biggest benefits is that dental implants can dramatically improve the appearance of your smile. In addition, their resemblance to real teeth makes dental implants easier to care for. To keep them clean, brush and floss twice a day as usual. Make sure to visit the dentist every six months for regular checkups and cleaning. Although artificial teeth do not rot like natural teeth, care is still essential to prevent bacteria from accumulating in your mouth and causing infections.
Can you eat with dental implants?
Dental implants give you the freedom to eat all the foods you cannot eat with missing teeth. In fact, implants restore overall functionality in your mouth. This includes your ability to comfortably chew certain foods, your biting power, and your speech.
Dentist Pertev Kökdemir summarized the benefits of dental implants as follows.
- Provides restoration of function, phonation and aesthetics by completing missing teeth
- It prevents the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth space from slipping or tipping into the space.
- It prevents inflammation of the gums due to food pressure to the missing tooth area.
- It stops the bone resorption in the missing tooth area.
- It prevents the deterioration of the lower and upper jaw-tooth relationship over time.