The Supreme Military Council (YAS) 2021 Meeting convened under the chairmanship of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. Vice President Fuat Oktay, Minister of National Defense Hulusi Akar, Minister of Justice Abdulhamit Gül, Minister of Treasury and Finance Lütfi Elvan, Minister of National Education Ziya Selçuk, Chief of General Staff Yaşar Güler, Land Forces Commander Gen. Ümit Dündar, Air Force Commander General Hasan Küçükakyüz and Naval Forces Commander Admiral Adnan Özbal.
Generals, Admirals and Colonels in the Turkish Armed Forces, who will be promoted to a higher rank, whose term of office will be extended, who will be retired due to lack of staff and age limit, were discussed and resolved with the approval of President Erdoğan.
The decisions published on the official website of the Ministry of National Defense are as follows:
1. In the ordinary meeting of the Supreme Military Council of 04, which was held on 2021 August 2021 under the Presidency of our President, Mr. Recep Tayyip ERDOĞAN, at the Presidential Complex;
- a) They will be promoted to a higher rank,
- b) The term of office will be extended,
- c) Discussing the situations of those who will be retired due to lack of staff,
The decision was made with the approval of our President, Mr. Recep Tayyip ERDOĞAN.
2. Effective from 30 August 2021;
- a) 17 generals and admirals were promoted to a higher rank, and 56 colonels were promoted to generals and admirals.
- b) The terms of office of 44 generals and admirals were extended for one year, while the terms of office of 320 colonels were extended for two years.
- c) 1 general was retired from 01 September 2021 due to the age limit, 29 generals and admirals were retired from 30 August 2021 due to lack of staff.
- ç) Since the Commander of the Land Forces, General Ümit DÜNDAR, was retired due to the age limit, the Commander of the 1st Army, Gen. Musa AVSEVER, was appointed as the Commander of the Land Forces.
- d) It has been decided to extend the terms of office of Air Forces Commander Gen. Hasan KÜÇÜKAKYÜZ and Naval Forces Commander Admiral Adnan ÖZBAL by one year.
- e) The number of generals and admirals, which is currently 240, will increase to 30 as of 2021 August 266.
3. Effective from 30 August 2021;
- a) Lieutenant General Selçuk BAYRAKTAROĞLU and Ali SIVRI from the KKK were promoted to the rank of General, Major General Levent ERGÜN and Metin TOKEL were promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General, from the Command of the Marine Corps Rear Admiral Kadir YILDIZ to the Vice Admiral and from the Air Force General Rafet DALKIRAN to the Lieutenant General.
- b) Brigadier Generals Ilkay ALTINDAĞ, Sebahattin KILINÇ, Gültekin YARALI, Rafet KILIÇ, Fedai ÜNSAL, Tuncay ALTUĞ, Rasim YALDIZ and Aydın Cihan UZUN from the KKK; Rear Admiral Yalçın PAYAL and Hasan ÖZYURT from the Command of the Commander of the Navy; Brigadier General Orhan GÜRDAL from Hv.KK was promoted to Major General.
4. We wish that the new ranks and duties of generals, admirals and colonels who have been promoted to a higher rank and whose terms of duty have been extended will be beneficial to our Nation, State, Armed Forces and their families.
5. We would like to thank the generals, admirals and colonels, who will retire after completing their term of office with great devotion and honor, for their services, and wish them health and happiness in the new period of their lives together with their families.