Coast Guard Command 39 Years Old

coast guard command
coast guard command

Throughout history, among the nations of the world, Turks have always established long-lived and well-organized states, and have worked hard for the safety of their state and the people living in it. As a result of the lessons learned from history, it has been understood that the security of the coastal countries should be provided from the farthest possible distance, not from the homeland.

Pre-Republican Coast Guard Command

The establishment of the Coast Guard Organization dates back to the second half of the 19th century. In this period, as a result of the industrial revolution in Europe and great developments in production and international trade, customs issues gained importance and issues of customs problems and combating smuggling came to the fore.

During the Ottoman Empire, different names were given to customs, taking into account both the location and the type of goods. Those located on the coast were called "Coast Customs", those located along the border were called "Border Customs" and those on the mainland were called "Land Customs". Coastal Customs was in question for both domestic and foreign trade goods. Customs taxes were an important source of income for the state. However, various problems and complaints arose due to the collection methods of taxes, which caused the owners to resort to illegal means.

In this period, the duties of protecting the coasts of the Anatolian peninsula, preventing and monitoring smuggling, carried out by the Provincial Customs Administrations under the Treasury; Due to the lack of any communication between these administrations and the structural disorganization, it could not be carried out effectively. In order to save the customs from this situation, studies on the organizational structure were started, as a result of the studies, the Provincial Customs Administrations were connected to the Istanbul Commodity Customs Assurance in 1859 and the name of this institution was changed to "Rusumat Trust" in 1861. Mehmet Kani Pasha was the first Emine of Rusumat.

In the Tanzimat Period, as a result of the trade agreement between the Ottoman Empire and other countries in 1861 and the increase in customs duties, there was an increase in customs smuggling incidents. Upon this situation, it was thought to establish a new organization in order to increase the efficiency in the fight against smuggling and a "Customs Enforcement Organization" was established within the body of Rüsumat Emaneti.

Later, in order to carry out the security and coast guard services at our sea borders, "Cord Squadrons" were formed under the Gendarmerie in 1886.

Republic Era Coast Guard Command

In the early years of the Republic period, the "Laws on the Prohibition and Tracking of Smuggling" numbered 1126 and 1510 were put into effect, and as of October 01, 1929, the "Customs Tariff Law" numbered 1499 began to be implemented. Due to the increase in customs duties with this law, there has been an increase in smuggling incidents and smuggling incidents have reached great proportions, especially in our southern borders.

Thereupon, with the Law No. 27 adopted on July 1931, 1841, in order to ensure the better execution of customs services and to monitor, investigate and prevent smuggling by sea and to ensure the security of our territorial waters, the "Customs Guard General", which has a semi-military character, was established on our southern borders. Command of the Turkish Armed Forces” was established, and from 1932 onwards, with the Law no. In the meantime, studies on the subject continued and in 1917, the “Law on the Prohibition and Tracking of Smuggling” no. According to this Law, smuggling cases would continue in detention, in case of conviction due to smuggling crimes, the sentence would not be suspended and exile would be imposed.

With the enactment of Law No. 1936 in 3015, the naval organization under the General Command of Customs Enforcement was given a military identity and the task of ensuring security and safety in our territorial waters was given to this organization.

The "General Command of Customs Enforcement" continued its activities until 1956 under the Ministry of Customs and Monopoly, the security of maritime borders and the training of personnel, under the General Staff.

With the enactment of the Law No. 16 on the “Conservation and Security of Our Border, Coastal and Territorial Waters and the Transfer of the Prevention and Follow-up of Smuggling to the Ministry of Internal Affairs” adopted on 1956 July 6815, the responsibility for the protection and security of our border, coastal and territorial waters, as well as the prevention and follow-up of smuggling, has been transferred to the Ministry of Interior. was transferred to the Gendarmerie General Command, which was subordinate, and the legal existence of the Customs Enforcement and General Command was terminated.

As of this date, Gendarmerie Naval Regional Commands were established in Samsun, Istanbul, Izmir and Mersin under the Gendarmerie General Command, and a Naval Branch Directorate was established at the Gendarmerie General Command Headquarters.

* Area of ​​responsibility on April 15, 1957; The “Aegean Gendarmerie Naval Regional Command” covering the area extending from Enez on the Turkish-Greek maritime border to Kocaçay on the Muğla-Antalya sea border was established.

* Area of ​​responsibility in 1968; At that time, the “Black Sea Gendarmerie Naval Regional Command” was established, covering the area between Artvin-Kemalpaşa on the Turkish-Russian maritime border and Begendik on the Turkish-Bulgarian maritime border, and the Sea of ​​Marmara.

* The area of ​​responsibility on 15 July 1971; “Mediterranean Gendarmerie Regional Command” was established, covering the area between Hatay-Güvercinkaya on the Turkey-Syria maritime border and Kocaçay on the Antalya-Muğla sea border.

The Law No. 09 was accepted on 1982 July 2692 and the Coast Guard Command was established by being published in the Official Gazette dated 13 July 1982. With this change, the Gendarmerie Naval Regional Commands affiliated to the Gendarmerie General Command were given the command of the Coast Guard Command and were named the Coast Guard Black Sea, Aegean Sea and Mediterranean Commands.

In order for the Coast Guard Command to continue its activities, a detached building was needed in a central part of Ankara and the ownership of the building located on Ministries Karanfil Street was given to the Command with the letter of the Prime Ministry dated September 10, 1982 and the building was settled on April 01, 1983.

The Coast Guard Command, which served under the Gendarmerie General Command until January 01, 1985, has been an armed security unit within the staff and organization of the Turkish Armed Forces, subordinate to the Ministry of Interior in terms of duty and service in peacetime, and subordinate to the Naval Forces Command in case of emergency and war. has started to carry out its activities in all coasts of our country, in the Marmara Sea, the Bosporus and Dardanelles Straits, ports and gulfs, territorial waters, exclusive economic zone and all maritime areas under our sovereignty and control in accordance with national and international law rules.

In 1993, the names of the main subordinate commands of the Coast Guard Command were rearranged and named as regional commands as follows; * Coast Guard Marmara and Straits Regional Command * Coast Guard Black Sea Regional Command * Coast Guard Mediterranean Regional Command * Coast Guard Aegean Sea Region Command

In order to meet the current and future personnel needs of the Coast Guard Command and to increase the efficiency of the mission, the Law No. 18 on the Coast Guard Command was amended with the Law adopted on 2003 June 2692. With this change, the Coast Guard Command has been given an independent structure like the Force Commands of the Turkish Armed Forces and the Gendarmerie General Command.

The Coast Guard Command was separated from the building on Karanfil Street, which served as the Command Headquarters for 06 years, on January 2006, 24 and moved to the new and modern Command building, which was built on the Ministries Merasim Street, in line with the importance of its duties.

Coast Guard Command; In accordance with the Decree Law No. 668, it was directly subordinated to the Ministry of Interior as an armed general law enforcement force, pursuant to the decision taken by the Council of Ministers convened under the chairmanship of the President on 25 July 2016.

Armin

sohbet

    Be the first to comment

    Comments