With its 10 Principles in the fields of human rights, labor standards, environment and anti-corruption, the UN Global Compact is launching the “Climate Goal Acceleration Program”, which aims to enable the business world to set more ambitious and realistic goals and achieve these goals in order to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Limiting the global average temperature increase to 1.5 ° C is one of the priorities of providing a more sustainable future for living things, natural habitats and the entire ecosystem. It is emphasized that an increase in this value to reach 2 ° C will have devastating consequences, so all stakeholders on the globe have a duty to limit global warming to 1.5 ° C, and companies come first.
Applications for the UN Global Compact, which is the world's largest multi-stakeholder sustainability platform with 12 thousand signatories, to the Climate Goal Acceleration Program, which will be carried out simultaneously in 25 countries, has started. The program, which aims to help companies provide the knowledge and skills required to make progress in setting science-based emission targets in line with the 1.5 ° C target, and will last about 6 months, a roadmap is presented to enable companies to formulate clear-to-zero strategies.
Companies from different countries come together with Global Compact Local Networks
In the program, companies from different sectors, sizes and countries are supported to increase their contribution to climate action and fulfill their commitments for large-scale emission reductions, while signatory companies in different countries through Global Compact Local Networks; They have access to global best practices, learning opportunities from each other, capacity building sessions and academia training.
The program will last 6 months, will start in July.
UN Global Compact member companies will be able to apply to the Climate Goal Acceleration Program until 22 June. The program is planned to start in July and last about 6 months.
The program offers companies many resources and tools to prepare roadmaps.
The Climate Goal Acceleration Program has important contributions to companies as well as to nature. Thanks to the program, companies:
- Follow the online academy sessions with technical level information,
- Will be able to develop capacity through workshops to be held with the participation of World Resources Institute (WRI) experts,
- Group work and learn from each other, access experts in the industry and networking opportunities
- Will benefit from the opportunities to participate in high-level meetings among stakeholders at the country level,
- Will be able to create the roadmap they need to set science-based emission reduction targets to reach net zero up to 2 thousand 50,
- Will be able to develop an emission reduction strategy that will meet the expectations of investors, employees and shareholders,
- Improve their knowledge of the concept of net zero, its minimum requirements, its processes, benefits and implementation stages with access to resources in accordance with the Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi) methodology,
- They will benefit from presentations that meet local needs at global standards and created from good practices.
It is applied simultaneously all over the world
The "Climate Ambition Accelerator" program, known as Climate Target Accelerator in Turkey, as well as Turkey, Germany, Austria, United Kingdom, Brazil, Denmark, Ecuador, El Salvador, Indonesia, Morocco, Finland, India, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Liechtenstein. It will be implemented in countries from 4 parts of the world such as Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Sri Lanka, Serbia, Tanzania and Thailand.