Errors can be avoided by paying attention to certain rules in traffic. While these rules are simple, ensuring the safety of drivers and passengers often goes unnoticed. If you don't want to be one of the distracted drivers Continue reading our article.
In general, these rules that everyone must obey are of the kind that will make it easier for the drivers in traffic. You can be the master of the roads with the following life-saving substance to minimize possible errors in traffic and to eliminate the risk of traffic accidents.
- Going slowly is not always the right thing to do. This is usually a situation that bothers the rear driver. Be you, do not make the mistake of going with 50 in the left lane. If you prefer to go slow, use the middle or right lane.
- Do not set off without melting the ice formed on your glass according to the weather conditions, be sure to clean the rain and salt thoroughly.
- Do not delay in signaling. Always use the turn signal lever before turning left or right.
Do not run your wipers at full speed if a light rain is coming while you are on the road. It will be enough to run it at the lowest level.
- Make sure to burn your fours when you're backing up!
- When you have misting on your rear window, operate the rear window defroster. Thus, condensation will decrease in a short time.
- Do not follow the vehicle in front by entering the bottom of convoys of 10 or more vehicles while driving on motorways.
- Another issue you should be careful about on highways is "speed continuity". It is necessary to drive at a certain speed on highways. Some drivers try to reduce their speed when they are still on the highway close to the exit of the highway. This is not correct at all. In this way, they cause the traffic behind them to interfere. It is more convenient to slow down after crossing the right lane.
- In rainy weather, misting may occur on the windshield and side windows of your car. In such a case, we recommend that you turn on your car's ventilation system and set it to defrost. In addition, if your car has air conditioning, you can operate the air conditioner in rainy weather to remove the fog on your car's windows. Since the air conditioner will take the humid air inside the vehicle, it will destroy the mist.
- Make sure your wipers are not working after the rain stops.
- In cold weather, excessive icing may occur in areas under the shade of areas such as trees and bridges. Be careful in these areas.
- Do not forget to turn on your headlights in rainy weather. In this way, drivers who have not cleared their windows will see you more comfortably and will not attempt to enter your lane in an instant.
- The first time the rain starts is more dangerous than when it rains heavily. In such cases, it is useful to be careful.
- When putting on your seat belt, try to align the lower part of the seat belt on your hipbone, not your stomach. Your hip bone is more durable in case of an accident.
- If you are going to hold the steering wheel with one hand, be sure to keep your hand at 12 o'clock, not 6 o'clock.
- If your car has an airbag on the driver's side, be careful to keep the steering wheel at 9:15 o'clock. In this way, as the airbag opens high, your wrists are less likely to break.
- When you stop at the red light at the end of any slope, make sure that there is at least 2 meters of space between you and the vehicle in front. In this way, even if the driver in front of you is an amateur and slides the car during take-off, the possibility of hitting you is reduced. With a simple precaution, you will prevent a possible accident.
- Make sure that mat-type materials that will prevent you from braking are fastened to the ground. Avoid wet and slippery mats.
It is possible to have an accident-free journey by paying attention to these rules. However, you may come across with a traffic accident for reasons that you do not have or with a moment of absent-mindedness. In case of damage to third parties as a result of an accident or if your vehicle is damaged, your biggest supporter will be your traffic and motor own damage insurance. Do not neglect to take out the traffic and automobile insurance of your vehicle in order to cover such damages.
Techniques You Should Know While Driving
For many, getting a driver's license is seen as sufficient to drive, but when the number of drivers and cars increases every year, and traffic is added, things can become difficult. There are two different driver types, especially in metropolises such as Istanbul. These; They can be separated as those who want to go somewhere quickly and want to travel safely.
According to studies on traffic, no matter how fast you speed or how fast you try to move, the maximum time you can earn in 40 kilometers is less than 20 minutes. So all this driver type does is to disregard the lives of pedestrians, other drivers, and perhaps most importantly, themselves. You can read the rest of the article if you are curious about the things to pay attention to while driving with drivers who use safe driving techniques and the tricks of driving.
Security precautions are one of the first things that should be paid attention to by everybody in traffic. What did they say… "Life safety first!"
As you learned in the driving school before starting your car, the first thing you need to do is to adjust the sitting position. While sitting in your car, you should be able to reach the steering wheel or pedals easily and see the mirrors easily. Before you start driving, you need to fasten your seat belt and get rid of items such as phones that may distract them. If you're driving a manual car, the first thing you need to do is make sure the gear is in neutral. You can understand this by slowly moving the gear to the right or left after releasing the handbrake. Gear changes are among the most common mistakes, so we have to say it now. You should adjust the gear according to the speed of your vehicle. You already know, but at every gear change, you have to take your right foot off the pedal and press the clutch with your left foot.
How to Hold the Steering Wheel?
"What's the steering wheel?" You may be thinking. Many accidents that can damage your vehicle are caused by incorrect steering. So how should you hold the steering wheel?
- Holding the steering wheel using both hands will give you steering control and will help you cope with any traffic crisis. If your vehicle has a manual transmission, of course you have to change gear. But you don't need to grasp the gear lever for a long time.
- You should think of the steering wheel of your car like a watch face. You should keep your left hand at 9 o'clock and your right hand at 3 o'clock. With this technique, known as the 9-3 grip, you can easily move the steering wheel and you will not lose control even if you panic in sudden situations.
- Be careful not to hold the steering wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock. If the car's airbag inflates for any reason, the steering wheel cover may hit your arm quickly. Also, you should not hold the steering wheel tight enough to strangle or loosely enough to slip under your hand. Each person's feelings are different, so you have to determine the severity of holding yourself by avoiding the extremes.
How to Use Automatic Gear?
Driving an automatic gearbox is very simple. First of all, you should put your foot on the brake before starting your vehicle. After starting the car by pulling the handbrake, you will hear the engine sound and you should shift the gear to D position after your car sounds. Bingo! Your vehicle has started to move. If you are new to driving and are not very experienced, automatic transmission may be a better choice. Choosing an automatic gearbox especially for city use will give you a sigh of relief in traffic.
How to Use Manual Gear?
Manual driving can be a bit anxious for first-time drivers. It causes hesitation between the clutch, accelerator and brake pedals and constant gear shifts in traffic. If you are just starting to drive, your priority should be automatic transmission. In this way, you can gain traffic experience without worry. You will encounter a very complicated mechanism in terms of gear change. If your vehicle is a manual gear, you may need to not give up the first time and try again.
When you sit in the vehicle, first make sure that the gear is in neutral. To shift from neutral to 1st gear, you have to depress the clutch and pull the gear towards you, then push it forward. You move the vehicle by pressing the accelerator after you release the handbrake of the vehicle and slowly take your foot off the clutch. In manual gear, you will pass the second gear by pulling the gear to yourself after you press the clutch, but unlike the 2st gear, you have to pull the knob backwards. To switch to other gears, you should never forget to move the knob according to the numbers on the gear. For example; For 1rd gear, you have to put the car in neutral and push it straight forward or when shifting to 3th gear, you have to push the knob first to the right and then to the front.
Direction Change Technique in Traffic
You can turn your steering wheel in the direction you specify to get your vehicle where you want to steer. You can change the direction of your vehicle by turning it from 9 position to 3 or from 10 position to 2. If you are going to change the direction of your vehicle by more than 90 degrees, you must first complete your turn; Whichever hand is at waist level, you should loosen it and continue to keep it in line. You should continue this movement until your other hand is directly opposite your hand at waist level. Once the steering is normal, you must exercise your free hand.
How Much Should Be the Following Distance While Driving?
While on the move in traffic, you should pay attention to the driving technique of other drivers as well as your own driving. The fact that the distance between vehicles is preserved in traffic is also an important point in this regard. Whatever the speed of your vehicle, the following distance should be at least half your speed. You must forget, not "how fast am I going"; You need to focus by thinking “how long can I slow down and stop in time”. For example, if you are moving at a speed of 50 kilometers per hour, your following distance with the vehicle in front of you should be 25 meters.
How To Depress The Brake Pedal In Sudden Stops?
Now, vehicles are necessarily equipped with Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS). Thanks to the system, you are not thrown off the driving line in the way that is called a sled. In sudden brakes, there are things you need to do other than the system's assistance. These;
If you want to brake at the right time and in a suitable position, you have to press the brake and clutch at the same time for manual vehicles. In this way, when you press the brake, the engine is disabled and the speed of driving the vehicle forward slows down. In automatic cars, it will be enough to press the brake.
In a normal situation, you can reduce the speed of the vehicle with the brake system. You can also press the clutch when you reduce the speed of your vehicle sufficiently. Again, if you have an automatic car, all you have to do is press the brake.
Sharp Curves and Maneuvering
Curves are areas where many drivers worry or even panic. Perhaps in these areas where driving is the most fun, there are two important things you should do. The first is to focus attention on the road and enjoy the corner; The second is to adjust your speed. The things you need to pay attention to are as follows;
Especially when it comes to sharp bends, the most fundamental issue is the "slow in-fast out" technique. This technique allows your vehicle to slow down before entering the bend, and when you exit the bend, the ideal error is additionally allowing you to be at speed.
Another issue that needs to be considered apart from speed on curved roads is how wide the road will be kept. The best way to follow while turning is to turn the bend from outside. So if the bend turns right, your vehicle should approach to the left of the road; If it turns to the left, it should approach to the right of the road.
Regarding the maneuver, after the turn signal is given in right turns; You must enter the lane where the turn is permitted with the right lane or sign. After this stage, you need to reduce the speed. The turn should take the form of a narrow arc, while remembering that pedestrians and cyclists have the first right of way. The maneuver for the left turn is the same, but you have to do the opposite of the movements.
To learn more about how to turn around bends, What are the Master Driver's Cornering Techniques? You can read our article.
The Right Way of Sitting in the Driver's Seat
We mentioned the way of sitting at the beginning of the article and we needed a little more elaboration. Finding your ideal sitting position is easy, but there are a few things to consider.
First, you must determine a place where you can press the accelerator pedal in a suitable position.
There should be 2 fingers distance between the back of your kneecap and the area of the seat where you are sitting.
You have to raise the driver's seat so that the hip, neck and knee distance are at the same level. In this way, you will be able to see the window angles clearly. - The part of the driver's seat that comes to you needs to center your head exactly. - When you sit in the driver's seat, you should be able to fully lean back. Thus, you can drive your vehicle more comfortably and keep your skidding level low in case of an accident.
How Should The Engine Speed Be Adjusted?
The ideal engine speed varies according to the brand and model. You need to do a little research on the internet for the ideal engine speed of your vehicle. If you do not set the speed correctly, you may not get the performance you want from your vehicle. The things you need to pay attention to adjust the engine speed are as follows;
You can achieve more performance and fuel savings with the engine speed you can adjust by decreasing or increasing the vehicle gear.
As there are many types of vehicles, there are many engine types and each engine has a speed range in which it works most efficiently according to its function.
You can learn the rev range information from your vehicle's manual or service.
In addition, the green area in the tachometer section of the vehicle shows the most efficient engine speed. Red represents the speed at which the engine speed is the hardest.
In case the vehicle goes into traffic, there are points to be considered after leaving the traffic as well as how much attention should be paid. The most important point to be considered during parking is to get help from mirrors and sensors. From the reverse parking technique you perform with the reverse gear by using the mirrors of the vehicle; You can find detailed information on how to park in the space between the two vehicles in our Parking Techniques article.
Driving Techniques in Rain and Snow
Some of the conditions that will cause you to crash with vehicles are related to your vehicle, such as tires and brake pads, and their maintenance or control is in your hands. However, natural events such as precipitation develop independently of you. Against the weather, you need to take precautions while driving and improve your driving technique. You can make a successful entrance by choosing not to wear clothes that will limit your mobility in the vehicle.
- To have good viewing angles, you need to clean the fogged windows.
- You should make sure that you change the tire selection according to the season.
- It is useful to increase your vehicle tracking distance a little more compared to normal weather conditions.
Driving Techniques in Night Driving
Night drives take place in a dark weather, requiring more concentration and focus. For this reason, you need to pay attention to the people or animals that you can see other than what you see on the road. One of the most important points in night driving is the headlights. You must make sure that your headlights are working properly and not emitting too much or too little light. You can find the details you need to pay attention to when driving at night in our Night Safe Driving Techniques article.