Harley Davidson, Vespa, Zündapp… The history of the 'self-propelled bicycle', which started in the 19th century and has survived to the present day, is on display at the Rahmi M.Koç Museum.
With its history starting in the second half of the 19th century, the motorcycle gave a special importance to land transportation, and during the First World War, it took the place of mounted reporters to provide rapid communication with the front troops. The motorcycle, which has turned into a lifestyle rather than a vehicle that meets the needs since the 1960s, is still popular today. The Rahmi M. Koç Museum, which welcomes its visitors with over 14 thousand objects consisting of legends of industry, communication and transportation history, also reflects the development of the 'two wheels', which appeal to different tastes with its modern designs, from past to present.
Some of the motorcycles exhibited in the museum are as follows:
Royal Enfield, 1935
The advertising slogan of the Royal Enfield was "Made like a gun" and the most well-known models were called Lead. Released in 1931, this model is still produced in India. Never the fastest in their class, these motorcycles were recognized for innovation and quality in their design. The Type B, manufactured in the 1930s, has a single-cylinder, side-valve, 248 cc engine.
Zündapp was first established in Nürnberg in 1917 as a manufacturer of detonators under the name Zünder-und Apparatebau GmbH. With the decline in demand for weapon parts after the First World War, the company, which started motorcycle production in 1919, went bankrupt in 1984, unable to resist the competition of the Japanese. Also known as the Green Elephant, the KS60I was Germany's fastest ground vehicle when it was launched in 1950. The horizontal opposed twin-cylinder, overhead-valve engine and four-speed gearbox belong to the pre-war era, but now telescopic front forks, pump-piston rear suspension and interchangeable wheels are mounted in a tubular chassis.
Harley Davidson, 1946
Harley Davidson, founded in 1900, is undoubtedly the most well-known motorcycle brand in the American motorcycle industry and the world. In 1937, the Model V was replaced by the Model U with these four manual gears, the Knucklehead Twins' drive gear and design.
Lambretta is a series of mopeds manufactured by Innocenti in Milan, Italy. The company was founded in 1922 by Fernando Innocenti as a steel pipe mill. When the factory bombed during World War II was severely damaged, Fernando Innocenti realized the importance of economic and personal transport and decided to produce a moped that was cheaper than a motorcycle and more sheltered for bad weather conditions. The protective visor on the front of the moped, whose design was revolutionary, was to keep the rider dry and clean compared to other motorcycles.
Like many other motorcycle manufacturers, Triumph began manufacturing with bicycles and purchased its engines from companies such as Minerva. The company produced single, double, triple and four cylinder engines for motorcycles and scooters. Their popularity in the 1960s and before made many of their models become important collectors' items. The 2 1/4 hp Triumph "Junior" was first produced in 1913 and continued as such until 1922. Junior's cylindrical petrol tank and suspension spring in front of it have been the most prominent features of this brand for years.
Bimota went into production with specially manufactured chassis for city bicycles. The first model to be launched in 1973, the HB1 (Honda / Bimota) features a chrome molybdenum frame and a standard CB750 four-cylinder Honda engine. Bimota's real passion was racing. He won the 1975 cc World Championship with a Bimota / Yamaha in 350, and the 1976 cc and 250 cc World Championships with the Bimota / Harley-Davidson in 350. This vehicle chassis set or the first Bimota produced as a complete vehicle… The engine capacity of the vehicle, which was produced only 140 units and has magnesium wheels, was increased from 750 to 865 cc and its superior performance was further enhanced.