Obesity is spreading rapidly around the world, especially in children. The way to prevent this problem is through proper nutrition from infancy. Dyt, one of DoktorTakvimi.com experts. Neva Janissary shares nutritional tips to prevent obesity in children.
Obesity is a chronic disease associated with the increase in the amount of fat that affects health in the body and weight gain… According to the statements of the World Health Organization, childhood obesity is increasing day by day, including in low and middle income countries. The situation in Turkey is not different! Studies show that the percentage of obesity has also increased in our country, and 10-25 percent of the child and adolescent population is negatively affected by this situation. Most boys and girls fall into the overweight and overweight category. DoctorTakvimi.com expert Dyt reminded that obesity developing in childhood causes type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, cardiovascular system, musculoskeletal system diseases as well as a decrease in the child's self-confidence, psychological problems and the status of success in school. Neva Janissary underlines that the measures to be taken against obesity will reduce the rate of obesity in both childhood and the average population.
Genetic predisposition affects the formation of obesity
“We can look at childhood as a golden age,” says Dyt, “since many of them are acquired in childhood, in their habits. Janissary points out that the nutritional habits in the family shape the nutrition of the child. Dyt. Janissary says: “Although a large part of our diet is related to family habits, there are many factors such as genetic predisposition, living environment, culture, attitude and behaviors that accompany the formation of obesity. Studies conducted to reduce childhood obesity contribute to the future generations to be healthier individuals. "Studies and policies aimed at solving obesity, which is the primary problem of many health problems, improve public health and reduce the risk of non-communicable chronic diseases."
Listen to these tips
Dyt, one of DoktorTakvimi.com experts. Neva Janissary lists the things that should be done to prevent obesity from the birth of the baby to childhood as follows:
- Take care to feed babies only breast milk for the first 6 months and then complementary foods in addition to breast milk.
- Stay away from traditional methods, avoid giving too much and unnecessary food to the baby with the thought that he is not full. Do not consume foods that are high in carbohydrate and fat, and are not nutritious.
- Be careful not to use pacifiers and bottles that prevent the development of mouth and chewing.
- For the health and nutritional quality of children, adjust the sleep patterns well and determine the sleeping hours correctly.
- Water is indispensable for the continuity of life and a healthy life! Encourage children to increase their water consumption and drink enough water daily. If necessary, you can add their favorite fruits to the water and get them to drink more water by purchasing interesting thermoses or drinkers.
- Cook meals at home with healthy cooking methods and provide a variety of nutrients. Try and develop alternative recipes suitable for healthy eating.
- Choose foods carefully for children. Instead of forcing them to eat foods they don't like, try again with different recipes and methods.
- Teach your child how often and how much to consume these foods before they turn to banned and fast food foods when they reach school age.
- Instill activity in the child. Orient yourself to physical activity, go for family walks, plan sports hours to put sports at the center of your life.
- enable the child to participate in social life; limit the time spent in front of the computer, phone, television.