IMM purchased 9 Quran pages and manuscripts from the auction house Sotheby's "Islamic World and Indian Arts" collection. The manuscripts containing the 1.200-year-old Surah Zuhruf and the 1.100-year-old Surat al-Maida, the 700-year-old pages of the Koran, the Masnavi and Bahaeddin Veled's İbtidâ-Nâme are now in Istanbul.
After the Fatih portrait, which was bought from the National Gallery and displayed at the Saraçhane Exhibition Hall in 2020, Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM) brought works of very high moral value to Turkey. kazanLocated in England, Sotheby's offered 183 pieces of historical artifacts for sale with its collection titled “The Islamic World and Indian Arts”. İBB added pieces including handwritten Quran pages, Mesnevi and hand-woven carpets to its collection. Mahir Polat, Deputy Secretary General of IMM, said that they brought a very valuable collection to the land where it belongs. Polat stated that the collection will be brought together with Istanbulites, first at the Saraçhane Exhibition Hall and then at the Feshane Sufi Museum, which is still under construction.
"THE REACH OF THE QUR'AN KERIM IS VERY VALUABLE"
Noting that the pages of the Koran purchased at the auction are very rare works, Polat said, “There are very limited numbers of examples dating to such old times. It is very valuable for the Holy Quran to reach a geography dominated by Islam. Especially the Koran that reached this period can be accessed as a single page, sometimes as a single copy of a historical manuscript, ”he said.
Informing that very valuable artistic and cultural works created by eastern societies are included in the auction, Polat went to Istanbul. kazanHe stated that the published works will be brought together with the people of Istanbul. Polat said, “We will bring artifacts that may be in the collections of major museums to the city. kazanwe nagged. These pieces are sent to the Sufi Museum, where we continue to work. kazanis very meaningful. With these new purchases, our collection has become even richer… Unique works for us.”
- The following works are included in the collection purchased by IMM from Sotheby's:
- 1.200 years old gold leafed Kufi script and Quran inscription on parchment,
- 1.100-year-old Kufic script and Quran inscription on parchment,
- A leaf of the Quran written in writing on pink paper belonging to the Mamluk Period,
- A leaf of the Quran written in Baghdad in the mid-14th century and attributed to Argun El-Kamilî, one of the most famous calligraphers of his time,
- Double-page leaf containing five suras, a copy of Abu Muhammad "Abdulkayyum ibni Muhammad ibni Keremşah-i Tabrizi",
- Written by Sultan Bahaeddin Veled, son of Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi. Masnavi Ibtidaname,
- Illuminated prayer book in narrow and long pages written in the Safavid Period,
- A 300-year-old illuminated manuscript written in Iran during the Safavid Period, which includes prayers of Imam Zaynabidin
- A lion composition written with calligraphy dated to the 19th century on marbled paper with colorful gilding decoration,
- Rare Hand Woven Ladik Prayer Rug, woven in cream, blue and burgundy colors, 200 years old,
- Hand-woven Milas Carpet, almost 200 years old, woven with mainly ivory and burgundy colors,