IMM purchased 9 Quran pages and manuscripts from the auction house Sotheby's "Islamic World and Indian Arts" collection. The manuscripts containing the 1.200-year-old Surah Zuhruf and the 1.100-year-old Surat al-Maida, the 700-year-old pages of the Koran, the Masnavi and Bahaeddin Veled's İbtidâ-Nâme are now in Istanbul.
Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM) in 2020 with the purchase from the National Gallery Sarachane then spiritual values of his Fatih portrait display at the exhibition hall very high work has advantages to Turkey in the UK, Sotheby's, "The Islamic World and India Arts entitled" offered 183 pieces of historical artifacts for sale with its collection. IMM added pieces including handwritten pages of the Holy Quran, Mesnevi and hand-woven carpets to its collection. IMM Deputy Secretary General Mahir Polat said that they brought a very valuable collection to the land it belongs to. Polat stated that the collection will be brought together with Istanbulites first at Saraçhane Exhibition Hall and then at the Feshane Tasavvuf Museum, which is under construction.
"THE REACH OF THE QUR'AN KERIM IS VERY VALUABLE"
Noting that the pages of the Koran purchased at the auction are very rare works, Polat said, “There are very limited numbers of examples dating to such old times. It is very valuable for the Holy Quran to reach a geography dominated by Islam. Especially the Koran that reached this period can be accessed as a single page, sometimes as a single copy of a historical manuscript, ”he said.
Giving the information that very valuable artistic and cultural works created by the Eastern societies are included in the auction, Polat stated that the works brought to Istanbul will be brought together with the people of Istanbul. Polat said, “We brought the works that can be in the collections of big museums to the city. It is very meaningful to bring these pieces to the Sufism Museum, where we are working. With these new purchases, our collection has become even richer… Unique works for us ”.
- The following works are included in the collection purchased by IMM from Sotheby's:
- 1.200 years old gold leafed Kufi script and Quran inscription on parchment,
- 1.100-year-old Kufic script and Quran inscription on parchment,
- A leaf of the Quran written in writing on pink paper belonging to the Mamluk Period,
- A leaf of the Quran written in Baghdad in the mid-14th century and attributed to Argun El-Kamilî, one of the most famous calligraphers of his time,
- Double-page leaf containing five suras, a copy of Abu Muhammad "Abdulkayyum ibni Muhammad ibni Keremşah-i Tabrizi",
- Written by Sultan Bahaeddin Veled, son of Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi. Masnavi Ibtidaname,
- Illuminated prayer book in narrow and long pages written in the Safavid Period,
- A 300-year-old illuminated manuscript written in Iran during the Safavid Period, which includes prayers of Imam Zaynabidin
- A lion composition written with calligraphy dated to the 19th century on marbled paper with colorful gilding decoration,
- Rare Hand Woven Ladik Prayer Rug, woven in cream, blue and burgundy colors, 200 years old,
- Hand-woven Milas Carpet, almost 200 years old, woven with mainly ivory and burgundy colors,