Premenstrual dysphoria syndrome (premenstrual tension syndrome) seen in many women, hormonal usually manifests itself between the ages of 25 and 35. The syndrome, which recurs in each menstrual period, can cause a decrease in the quality of daily life.
Liv Hospital Gynecology and Obstetrics Specialist Op. Dr. Gamze Baykan said, “The effects of these problems can be reduced with the measures to be taken. "The lives of women can become more comfortable in this period with minor changes in the sleeping pattern and diet", he says.
Is premenstrual syndrome a disease?
PMS (premenstrual syndrome) is the general name given to the symptoms seen in the premenstrual period, it is not a disease. Although serious symptoms are seen at a very low rate, it may be recommended to use antidepressant and hormone drugs when they start to occur. The rise and fall of estrogen and progesterone hormones that occur during the menstrual cycle allow menstrual bleeding, ovulation and conception. However, the sudden decrease and increase in these hormones may cause excessive effects before menstruation.
It can be experienced in different violence in every woman
PMS symptoms can be experienced differently and severely in every woman. Some women experience all of the symptoms, while others may only experience a few. Before each recurring menstrual cycle and until the first one or two days of menstruation, when the complaints become to affect life, a specialist should be consulted for treatment.
The most common complaints
- Swelling and tenderness in the breasts
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Feeling bloated
- Cramps, headache, back pain
- Tiredness, extreme sensitivity to light and sound
- Mentally observed complaints; can be listed as intolerance, feeling tired, sleep problems, loss of concentration, anxiety and palpitations, depression, sadness, decrease in sexual desire, mood changes.
What can be done to reduce symptoms?
The drug should definitely be recommended as a result of the severe feeling of the symptoms and the evaluation of this by a specialist. In the premenstrual period, caffeine, smoking, salt and sugar should be avoided, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6, Omega3-6 supplements help reduce symptoms. Regular exercise, healthy diet, and good sleep; It helps to reduce depression, decreased concentration and anxiety problems.
5 tips against premenstrual tension
- The feeling that I have swollen all over me, I have gained weight is due to water and salt retention. It is helpful to drink plenty of water and stay away from salt.
- Regular exercise for sadness, mood changes, yoga, nature walks, herbal teas such as chamomile and lemon balm can improve the psychological state.
- Skin care, skin cleansing, relaxes the pores and minimizes acne formation in order to reduce the increase in oiliness and acne formation on the skin.
- In case of an increase in sweet cravings, it would be appropriate to turn to chocolate, dried fruit instead of sweets, teas made of forest fruits and desserts with low sugar.
- For anxiety, irritability, avoiding caffeine, hiking in nature, yoga, exercise, regular sleep helps to combat the changeable mood.