With the new type of coronavirus causing a global outbreak, many people experience fear and anxiety due to the uncertainty of the process.
Many people going out on the streets, shopping, going to work or ordering from the market may experience symptoms of coronavirus psychologically. The person says, "Does my throat hurt?" While listening to himself with such thoughts, this cycle of anxiety can convince the person that he really has these complaints over time. From the Department of Psychology, Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital, Uz. Psychologist Ayşe Burcu Durak gave information about the psychic coronavirus symptoms and ways of protection that occured psychologically even though the infection did not occur.
“Pseudo-Corona” So Pseudo-Corona Disease Has Come Into Our Lives!
Cases of false coronavirus caused by high anxiety are also observed in our country. In a scientific study conducted in England, Canada and Egypt, it has been stated that 70% of people have recently had high levels of anxiety and “false corona” cases have occurred. The study shows the presence of a disease called "Pseudo-Corona", a pseudo coronavirus. In this table; a high level of anxiety convinces people that they are experiencing symptoms.
High Anxiety May Reveal Pseudo-Covid-19 Symptoms
Although Covid-19 is not caught, there may be people who feel psychologically bad due to high anxiety and apply to hospitals considering that they are experiencing symptoms. People with anxiety disorders can panic in the hospital, thinking that they have had an epidemic in the slightest problem they have experienced. Someone who begins to listen to the symptoms of the body intensively may think that he has a fever and his throat hurts. When he starts to think about them, he experiences tension, heart rhythm changes, respiratory rate differs. As a result, the person thinks they have a virus and may want to go to the hospital and have a test.
Sleep Problems, Eating Disorders, Obsessive Thoughts and Phobias Can Develop
Intense anxiety, anxiety, and uncertainty experienced by individuals can lead to different reactions of their bodies and impaired quality of life. While videos and articles written about Covid-19 especially on social media create high levels of stress, fear, anxiety; Besides, sleep problems, eating disorders, obsessive (obsessive) thoughts and some phobias can also develop. Focusing on the starting point of anxiety plays a role that further reinforces anxiety. Restricted and differentiated life activities can cause people to have more suspicion about what is happening by increasing their anxiety. Even situations such as sneezing and coughing create danger signals for people, causing them to tend to disaster even in the slightest situation. People who experience fear and anxiety may be more prone to think negatively, their risk perceptions may be exaggerated. These people are often those who may experience anxiety even though there are no threats in the environment. In addition, cognitive distortions can be observed in these individuals. People with intense cognitive distortions experience that their minds are convinced about inaccurate situations, and the person is not convinced that he is not so by believing in the fiction he designed in his mind.
The Desperation Feeling Needs Psychological Support
“Someone was sneezing / coughing next to me at the market. Could it be infected by me? ”,“ Could there be a virus in this shipping package? ” Sensitivities such as are becoming widespread. The fear of contagion is of course one of the most common concerns during the day. As a result, the anxiety level of the person shapes the measures he takes. People with extreme anxiety take precautions that are not necessary and without functionality. For example; The wrong practices such as drinking vinegar, holding a blow dryer in the mouth have become the frequently encountered events in the news lately. Those who take dysfunctional measures in these examples are often those who experience despair, intense anxiety, fear, and in this case, the best thing they can do for them is to get psychological support.
Heed These Suggestions to Avoid the Psychological Effects of the Outbreak
The Covid-19 process is a temporary process that the world has experienced for the first time and of course contains many emotions. It is important for you and your loved ones' future to follow some suggestions to get over this temporary process in a psychological way.
- Instead of acting with a sense of panic, all necessary measures should be taken against the disease in a more calm and conscious way.
- In order to strengthen the psychological resilience and consequently the immune system, it is necessary to pay attention to a healthy diet.
- One of the most important ways to increase psychological resilience is a healthy and regular sleep.
- Daily breathing exercises (oxygen and carbon dioxide balance) are another indispensable method in the fight against stress.
- Knowing that one's family members and loved ones are good is also a helpful factor in reducing anxiety. Therefore, the person should be in touch with their loved ones.
- Incorrect and excessive information loading should be avoided. Authorized and expert sources should be followed for information.
- The person should be in areas where he will feel safe. During this period, he should devote time to the occupations that are thought to be good for the enjoyment.
- If the individual is experiencing the same condition after consulting a doctor and determining that he / she does not have the disease, he should not hesitate to get psychological support.