Make Suburban Trains Suitable for Bicycle Transportation; A citizen who applied to the Ombudsman Institution (KDK) said that the use of bicycles is part of the modern understanding of life and is encouraged by the state for a healthy environment in many countries. KDK found the citizen right in the examination he made upon application, and state Demiryolları Taşımacılık A.Ş. He made a recommendation to the General Directorate (TCCD) to make the existing suburban trains suitable for carrying bicycles.
The rules of bicycle transportation on the commuter and Marmaray flights provided by TCDD on the official website are as follows;
Commuter Trains and Marmaray Trains
- Except for Sundays and National Holidays days, except for 07.00-09.00 to 16.00-20.00 hours, which are passenger busy hours (peak hours), bicycles will be transported on trains and small hand luggage will be accepted with the passenger without any additional charge.
-The passenger will not be admitted to the train during peak hours.
- Passengers will be accepted to carry bicycles during the day on non-busy Sunday days and national holidays.
- Bicycles should be accepted to all wagons and, if any, must be carried in such a way that they do not interfere with the passage of passengers in spaces or intermediate spaces reserved for carriage.
- Only one bicycle per passenger is allowed.
- The owner of the bicycle is responsible for all kinds of damages and damages caused to them and / or other passengers in elevators, escalators, trains and descents.
-The cycling passes will be made from disabled turnstiles in the regions where the turnstiles are located.
- Loading, keeping and unloading of bicycles on the train will be done by the owner.
-The owner of the bicycle is responsible for any damages to our attempt, to themselves and / or other passengers.
According to the written statement from KDK, a citizen complained to the institution that it is forbidden to ride bicycles on suburban trains at certain times of the day. The applicant stated that it is not allowed to ride the suburban trains between 07.00 and 09.00 in the morning, between 16.00 and 20.00 in the evening. In the application, it was recorded that a petition was submitted to TCDD to change these hours from 07.00 to 08.30 and from 16.00 to 18.30. The citizen stated that in his reply TCDD sent him, he rejected his application, saying that his request was not appropriate.
The citizen who made a complaint stated that the use of bicycles was encouraged by the state for a healthy environment in the application he made to KDK, and that a bicycle apparatus to be added to the train wagons and bicycles can be bought on the trains at any time of the day with different fare tariffs. Emphasizing that the opinions of NGOs, public institutions and bicycle users should be taken into consideration when buying bicycles for trains, the citizen demanded a new application.
KDK found the citizen right in the examination made upon the application and decided to recommend it to TCDD. The agency stated in its decision that the mismatch was due to the integration of the bike to the rail transport system, and to ensure sustainable transportation, it was recommended to remove the time limitation after the hours were extended after the bicycle was accepted for rail transport. It was also noted in the 'recommendation decision' given to TCDD that the necessary work should be done as soon as possible in order to make the existing suburban trains suitable for bicycle transportation.