Haydarpaşa Railway Station was built in 1906 II. It was started in the reign of Abdulhamid and completed on 1908. The station, which was built by a German company, was built in III. It is named after Haydar Pasha, one of the pashas of Selim. The purpose of the construction was considered as the starting point of the Istanbul Baghdad railway line. In the last period of the Ottoman Empire, Hicaz railway services were started. State Railways of the Republic of Turkey is the main station. It also occupies an important place in urban transportation with commuter line flights.
Haydarpaşa Railway Station History
Haydarpaşa Station construction, 30 May 1906 year II. Abdulhamid period began. Construction of the station started in 1906, 19 was completed in August 1908 and opened for service. Haydarpaşa Railway Station, which was constructed by a German company called Anadolu Bağdat, is located in the facilities for the unloading and loading operations of the commercial goods that are in the wagons coming from Anatolia or going to Anatolia.
The project, which was prepared by Helmuth Cuno and Otto Ritter, came into effect and Italian and German stone masters were used during the implementation of the project. A large part of the station was damaged due to the large fire in 1917. After this damage, it has been restored to its present shape. In 1979, the impact of hot air caused damage to the lead stained glass due to the explosion caused by a tanker colliding with the offshore in Haydarpaşa. 28 In November 2010, due to a large fire on the roof of Haydarpaşa Railway Station, the station's roof collapsed and the fourth floor of the building became unusable.
Haydarpaşa Railway Station Architecture
The station, where most people travel to Istanbul and meet the magnificent landscape, is actually a classic example of German architecture. From a bird's eye view of the building, one leg is long and the other leg is a short “U” shape. Inside the building, in these short and long legs, there are rooms with large and high ceilings.
Both branches of the “U” shaped corridors where the rooms are located are located on the land side. The inner space is the inner courtyard. The building is built on a thousand 21 wooden piles, each of which is 100 meters long. These piles were driven by the technology of the early 1900 years, the steam hammer. The main structure of the building rises above the pile grid placed on these piles.
The station building is very robust and there is little chance of damage even in a severe earthquake. The roof of the building is made of wood and a 'steep roof', a style that is often used in classical German architecture.
Fires and Explosions in Haydarpaşa Station
Perhaps one of the most remarkable but unfortunately bad memories in the history of Haydarpaşa Station is the sabotage organized by an English spy on September 6, 1917. As a result of the sabotage of the British spy while loading ammunition with cranes on the wagons waiting for Garda; The ammunition on the trains that are stored in the building, waiting for the station and about to enter the garage exploded and an unprecedented fire started. Hundreds of soldiers on the trains also suffered great damage from this explosion and the fire. Even from the severity of the explosion Kadıköy and the windows of the houses in Selimiye are told to be broken.
15 November At 1979, the Romanian fuel tanker 'Independanta' exploded just off the station and the building's windows and historic stained glass were shattered.
The fire that broke out on the roof of the historical Haydarpaşa Train Station on 28.11.2010 at around 15.30, completely destroyed the roof of the station. It was claimed that the reason of the fire that came under control within 1 hour and then completely extinguished was the renovation on the roof.
Haydarpaşa Railway Station
This magnificent building, the construction of which started on May 30, 1906, was made by two German architects. As a result of two years of work with the simultaneous labor of approximately 500 Italian stone masters, the construction of Haydarpaşa Station was completed in 1908. The light pink colored granite stones of this magnificent building, which was opened on May 1908, 19, were brought from Hereke. Haydarpaşa Station was named after Haydar Pasha, who contributed to the construction of the Selimiye Barracks. Sultan III. Selim, as a gesture to Haydar Pasha, who did his best during the construction of his own barracks, deemed it appropriate to call this district and its surroundings Haydarpaşa. The importance of the railway station grew with the widening of the railway network and progressing to the interior of Anatolia. Haydarpaşa Station spread over an area of 3 square meters in total. Here are the most well-known shield expresses; Eastern Express, Fatih Express, Başkent Express, Kurtalan Express.
Interior and Exterior Architecture of Haydarpaşa Train Station
Haydarpaşa Station has a unique architecture, as people who have seen in many Turkish films, witnessed a lot of separation and looked at the enormous view of Istanbul from here. The building carries examples of classical German architecture, and from a bird's eye view, one leg is short and the other is long. For this reason, there are large and high ceiling rooms in the building. This image somewhat explains the magnificence of Haydarpaşa. In the past, hand-made embroidery and works of art adorned these ceilings, but later on these works were plastered. Currently, we can see these hand embroidery works in just one room. Building; It was built on a thousand 21 wooden piles, each 100 meters long. Facade coverings made of Lefke-Osmaneli stone were used on the ground floor and mezzanine floors of the building. The windows of the station are constructed from wood and rectangular, and there are rectangular ornamental columns between the windows. On the sides of the building facing the sea, there are circular towers narrowing from the floor to the roof, corresponding to both ends of the building.
Haydarpaşa Railway Station Restoration Works
It was repaired by the Republic Government, which dealt with the railroad operation after two terrible explosions and fires in Haydarpaşa Station on September 6, 1917 and November 15, 1979, and took its closest shape to its present state by making various arrangements. With the pouring of decaying coatings due to the rain, floods and steamships it has seen since 1908 when it was put into service, ornaments and works of art on the exterior of the building began to disappear. A major restoration was initiated in 1976 to prevent the building from further damage. Today, restoration works are continuing.
Tomb at Haydarpaşa Train Station
Haydar Baba Tomb is a mystery of which is hidden in the tracks at Haydarpaşa Train Station, where the mystery is spoken. It has been controversial for years about the mausoleum it received from the station. The tomb has a very interesting story and it is a traditional situation. Listen to the story narrated about the Haydar Baba Tomb from us. Not so long after the station was put into service, the collar chief wanted the train station to pass by the cemetery 100 years ago, wherever the shrine was located and started to work with a team. According to what is told; Haydar Pasha, who gave the name of the garage to the dreams of the chief of action, enters the night. "Don't bother me," he says to the chief of action in the dream. The chief of action continues to work with engineers, regardless of this dream. Haydar Pasha, who dreams again, squeezes the throat of the movement chief and says the same thing again. Affected by this creepy dream, the chief of action stops work. The train route, which is planned to be built after, passes both sides of the tomb. Thus, Haydar Baba Tomb is still visited today, dividing the train route into two. As an interesting and beautiful detail, it is said that all the machinists and train personnel still stop by and pray for a safe journey.