Public Transport Crashed in Istanbul Going to Work Walked: Istanbul was again paralyzed by snowfall. The vehicles remained on the slopes, the main arteries were blocked. Ferry trips were canceled, metrobus services were disrupted… Istanbulites had to walk.
Heavy snow paralyzed Istanbul yesterday. Metrobus flights were disrupted, airplane and sea flights were canceled. 841 accident on the roads where the visibility range down to 5 meters, while the villages of Catalca, Binkılıç and Aydos 60 snow thickness has been announced to reach centimeters. On the hill from Dolmabahçe to Taksim, dozens of vehicles remained on the road due to the accumulated snow; Traffic is locked in Bomonti-Dolmabahçe Tunnel. For hours waiting for the traffic to be opened, the drivers turned off the ignition, some showed their reactions by honking. Meanwhile, those who were on the buses passed the tunnel on foot.
Grind between two collars
When the snow thickness in the city center in Istanbul yesterday 20 centimeters found that those who went to work in the morning had great difficulty. Due to heavy snow, Bosphorus bridges were closed from time to time and ferry service was canceled. Particularly those who tried to pass from the Anatolian Side to the European Side, while being trapped in the closed roads, many people walked down from the vehicles regardless of the icy air.
Zincirlikuyu-Söğütlüçeşme metrobus service passing over the Bosphorus Bridge was also hampered. On the ramped sections of the route, vehicles were forced to go uphill. Similar views were seen on Zincirlikuyu-Beylikdüzü metrobus line. Some metrobus vehicles could not exit steep ramps.
Left on the road
Mecidiyekoy, Sisli, Zincirlikuyu, gayrettepe, high streets such as Levent, completely covered with white cover, while many people could not get out of the car park. Megakent residents who prefer public transport had to walk for minutes to reach the main arteries. Service vehicles from white bondage in Istanbul also got its share. Many people could not go to work when the services on the closed roads could not serve. Mecidiyeköy, which is considered the central location of Istanbul, has caused the reaction of the citizens to make shoveling on the pedestrian roads only by the teams of Şişli Municipality. The tradesmen cleaned the snow accumulated in front of their shops by their own means and the peddlers worked in the freezing cold.
Snow thickness reached 40 cm
The villages of Çatalca are 60 in Binkılıç and Aydos, 40 in Çatalca, Esenyurt, Beylikdüzü, Hadımköy, Selimpaşa, Başakşehir, Arnavutköy and Uğur Mumcu, 25 in Çavuşbaşı, Maltepe, Beykoz, Sancaktepe and Polenezköy, Çeköyöy, Ümraniye, Maslak 20 in Göktürk and Kemerburgaz, Kagithane, Beşiktaş, Şişli, KadıköyIt was measured as 10 centimeters in Beşiktaş, Üsküdar, Bakırköy and Florya.
841 was in a car accident
- 841 accident caused by vehicles not using snow tires in Istanbul.
- Due to its type, the visibility between Selimpaşa and Kumburgaz has decreased to 5 meters.
- In a statement made by the Department of Road Maintenance and Infrastructure Coordination, it was stated that 4 thousand 815 personnel and thousand 28 vehicles served during the night. 15 thousand tons of salt, 320 tons of solution was used against snowfall, while 889 tons of salt were given to district municipalities.
- 457 people are housed in hotels with municipal gyms, street animals are being tracked and the needs are reported to be met.
- Kumburgaz Firefighting Group struck a fire truck on the way to help citizens stranded.
- In a statement made by Turkish Airlines, it was announced that the flights at Atatürk Airport were canceled and 10 thousand rations were distributed to the passengers waiting at the airport due to adverse weather conditions. THY officials, “3 thousand passengers have placed in hotels. We had to cancel most of the flights. The parking areas that we call taxi roads are full. Our teams work continuously. However, because of the type of stopping the taxi is difficult to open the road. Many planes coming from abroad were directed to other cities. Only very few planes from far distances are allowed to land and take off kalkış.
'Don't go outside unless necessary'
Istanbul Governor Vasip Şahin and Mayor of Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Kadir Topbaş stated that all teams were mobilized at a press conference held at the Disaster Coordination Center (AKOM) about the snowfall that has been effective and paralyzed for the day. Governor Sahin, "Our drivers, especially when leaving the road must be cautious, chain and rope to keep, heavy-tonnage vehicles without chains, I would like to know that they certainly can not go," he said. Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality President Kadir Topbaş stated that they increased the number of flights in public transport and said: “Citizens should use public transport as much as possible. I want to express that they do not go out unless they are needed. 2 hour is mentioned for the continuation of snowfall. As a municipality, we are vigilant in this matter and fulfill our responsibilities. 30 close to a thousand people in the field, are working intensively in coordination. ”
The city is not well managed
- Tayfun Kahraman (Istanbul Chamber of City Planners)
An institution with a budget over ministries such as the Metropolitan Municipality should create a comfortable city for its citizens. The lack of infrastructure of the city appeared once again. There are major deficiencies from the infrastructure of the main arteries to the interconnection pathways. At 2008, we said the metrobus would not be a cure. Rail systems had to be built. Investments in the road are indispensable and these problems do not end unless the metro and rail system mobilization is initiated. The city is not well managed and the facilities at hand are not used properly.
- Mehmet Murat Çalık (City Planner): These problems are experienced if the preparations are not made enough. The blockage of the main arteries causes transportation chaos in Istanbul. When the E-5 highway is blocked, people start walking on the highway. In such a city, how can citizens rely on public transport and act? These problems would not have occurred if the de-icing solution was used adequately and regularly. IMM preparations are not enough. Although there is constant profit in the northern European countries, there is no chaos. The first priority should be to keep the BRT route and bridges open.
- Assoc. Dr. Kubilay Kaptan (Disaster Management Specialist): We have seen that the warnings of meterology are not taken into consideration. Istanbul's last 5 annual period seen in the regional and 5 centimeters does not exceed the example of snowfall is taken action. The authorities were unconcerned, perhaps because they thought there would be a lower capacity precipitation. We see that IMM has a lack of capacity, equipment and materials. Chaos would not occur if sufficient solution was used instead of salt damaging the asphalt. Istanbul's tens of thousands of intermediate arteries are completely closed. Even if the international highway TEM and Bosphorus Bridges are closing, there is no need to comment! You won't find such an example outside Alaska and northern Canada. Meteorology gave serious warnings before snowfall. The only thing right is to cancel the flights for flight security.
Power outages infuriated
Snowfall also caused malfunctions in energy transfers. 17 on the Anatolian and European sides of Istanbul Since the night of February 22.00, many districts have not been able to provide electricity. The cuts Pendik, Guzelyali, Kurtkoy, Sultanbeyli, Avcilar, Mimar Sinan Neighborhood, Zeytinburnu, Mecdiyekoy Gülbahar said it can continue.
Aircraft 400 Meter Gone 8 Hour
Ataturk Airport, Istanbul-Sao Paulo-Buenos Aires flight will do in the morning before the 09.30'da 3.5'da before the bellows waited for 17.30 hours, after leaving the bellows to get up at 400 8 meter XNUMX hour.