China manages to get railway work in Africa

📩 30/11/2018 13:29

China managed to get railway business in Africa: China got the first railway construction job in Africa, 600 km railway between Nairobi and Mombasa will be renewed by Chinese.

Chinese companies took the job of building a long railway line in Kenya, in eastern Africa. A total of 3,8 billion Dollars of railway construction agreement was signed. In the first phase, the old 3,5 km long railway between the port city of Mombasa and the capital Nairobi will be renovated in 600 years. Some lines will also be built by the Chinese in Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and South Sudan.

According to the agreement, the Chinese 'Exim-Bank' will cover 90 percent of the costs, while Kenya will cover the remaining 10 percent. The deal was made between Kenya and 'China Communications Construction'. Construction work is expected to begin in October.

The signing ceremony in Nairobi was attended by Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta, Uganda President Yoweri Museveni, Rwanda President Paul Kagame and South Sudan President Salva Kiir. Chinese Prime Minister Li spoke of a 'same level of joint' work, saying a gain for both sides. Li previously stated at a meeting organized by the African Union OAU earlier this month that an extensive railway network connecting the major cities of Africa could be built and China had the technical means to do this.


Be the first to comment

Leave a response

Your email address will not be published.