Interview with BTS President Bülent Çuhadar on the privatization of TCDD
Iş To claim our institution, our business, our bread um “
- What is the Draft Law on the Railway that was signed in the Council of Ministers and is expected to be brought to the agenda of the Assembly? Can you give me more information?
- The completion of the privatization of long-standing railways in railways. Namely; These privatization works started with the Booz Allen & Hamilton report in 1995 and continued with Canac's report, a Canadian company. In this period, many services that the institution has started to be performed by private sector, trains that work in closed, non-profit lines have been removed many applications were already implemented. This law means that all these processes are completed and the transfer of railway transportation to the private sector and the insecurity of the employees.
The law envisages the transfer of profitable lines and enterprises to the private sector rather than the development of railways. However, the 8252 km rail works as a single line. In addition to new roads, this single-line management must be made with double-line synyilylation.
There is no provision in the law to guarantee employees. A significant number of employees will be sent to the pool. Many staff working in the institution will be sent to other institutions as IFP (Surplus Personnel).
The law will legalize political and bureaucratic interventions. The Minister is the only determinant.
The law envisages the establishment of many committees, representatives of the ministries, institutions and private sector are included in these commissions but the representatives of the employees are not mentioned. Therefore, the law to be removed will neither develop TCDD nor be an application in favor of employees.
- Do you think this bill is an attack on union organization?
- This bill is not only an attack on trade union organization but also an application that eliminates the security of employees. To clarify, the draft eliminates the existing organization of the railways by eliminating the existing Turkish Railways. will take place in the sector. Employees will be subject to the provisions of the private sector working as it will be a joint-stock company, so it will be impossible to talk about job security. It should be kept in mind that when all government employees are combined with the KHK targeting the government, and the public personnel law is taken into consideration, all public employees' job security will be eliminated.
- What do you intend to do as a BTS union against this bill?
- Our union has foreseen this process many years ago and has given serious struggles not to realize the Booz Allen & Hamilton and Canac reports that I mentioned earlier, but serious resistance could not be organized as it had to fight alone in the sector. At the point we came, the last law is an attempt to eliminate the railways completely. In our experience we know that the struggle of our union will not be enough. For this reason, we have tried to create a platform that will carry out a common struggle against the law with other trade unions and associations, especially our union organized on railways. We have expressed this determination with a declaration that we made public recently. In order to prevent the dismantling and liquidation of our company as a platform, we have expressed our determination to counteract our actions and activities on the agenda.
- What do you want to say last?
If we have a little difficulty in the memory of the AKP government came to power since the 2002 of the institutions that occupy the agenda of the railroads are coming. Unfortunately, as the government said, not only with the advancements and developments, but also with the deaths of dozens of people like Pamukova and Tavşancıl, accidents occurred more than in Tuzla shipyards and there were high speed trains that the government turned into a show. There is no other way to fight for railway workers. We call on Di railwaymen to fight all our people together for a safe rail transport. Because the people who use the railway transportation sector must know very well that privatization is not only an ideological attack but also destroys transportation security in the railway sector.