📩 27/03/2023 21:45
The exhibition titled Journey to History - IETT with Photographs, created with black and white photographs selected from the ISTANBUL IETT archive, meets with the visitors. The exhibition opened at Cevahir AVM, which was built on the old Şişli garage of IETT, which is of great importance in terms of IETT's institutional history as well as Istanbul's public transportation history, awaits its enthusiasts between 22-29 June 2012.
Previously opened at the Press Museum of the Journalists Association of Turkey as part of the Bersay Communication Institute and the 4th Babıali Days, the History Journey to IETT Exhibition with Photographs is now opening at the Cevahir AVM in Şişli. Among the photographs that will be exhibited in the foyer area on the second floor of the shopping center between 22-29 June 2012 are horse-drawn trams, considered the milestone of public transportation in Istanbul, and electric trams, trolleybuses and buses that came into service later. Black and white photographs, which attracted great attention in the places where they were exhibited before, are expected to attract the same attention.
The oldest garage of IETT
The old Şişli garage, which was opened as a horse-drawn tram depot in 1912 and has an important place in the history of IETT as well as in the history of Istanbul's public transportation, hosted trams and buses as well as trolleybuses. The garage, which was removed in the 1980s on the grounds that it remained in the center of the city, was first used as a horse-drawn tram stable. Electric trams, which later became the symbol of the city, were stored here. In 1948, with the addition of workshops, it was turned into a bus garage. From 1961 onwards, trolleybuses started to be stacked.
In 1952, Turkey's first psychotechnical laboratory was established here, and training was given to drivers, drivers and ticket holders. The Şişli garage, where female ticket holders worked in the 1960s, was used as a set in the 1961 movie "Bus Passengers", starring Ayhan Işık and Türkan Şoray. Cevahir AVM, the construction of which started in 1987 on the land that was transferred to the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality to be a business center in 1989, was put into service in 2005 as the second largest shopping center in the world.